Sunday, April 09, 2006

Flannel Quilt is Complete

After spending a total of about 10 hours sewing yesterday and the day before, my Johnny and Buck quilt is complete. I learned a lot doing this, and would hate to add up how many stitches that I ripped out and redid. I finally had to say "good enough" and just finish it, because it has to go in the mail on Monday so that it will be in Nebraska in time for the baby shower.


I love the feel of this quilt. I made it with Moda flannel fabric, the print is Johnny and Buck, a retro cowboy and indians print collection. For the batting I used 100% cotton (Warm and Natural), and although not thick, I am hoping it will provide the warmth needed on those cold winter Nebraska days and nights.


For the quilting I used a natural color thread in a diagonal pattern through the corners of the squares. It was simple and quick, just what I needed, since I haven't taken a machine quilting class yet. I struggled with the stitch length and thread tension when I began, but eventually figured it out.
I can't wait to see my new great-grandson all wrapped up in this.

7 comments:

Melli said...

Oh Barb! It is darling! Wow! You must feel like you have just really accomplished SO much! Goodness -- it seems like it didn't take you any time at all! I always think of quilts as taking MONTHS - or even years to complete! But you just whip 'em out! Good for you! :)

PJ said...

Oh, it's beautiful.
Your hard work really paid off.

Wystful1 said...

That is truly a piece of art! I so envy your accomplishments. (I think I've said this before, but my mother had a hand made quilt - it was given to her by all the friends and family on both sides...and it was a treasure. I don't know whatever happened to it...but, boy do I remember it!!---and would someday like to make one just like mom had!!)

Way to Go!!

Audrey said...

Beautiful! Kind of "vintage" looking....

Kay said...

This is sweet! Perfect for a special baby/

Anonymous said...

Your quilt is truly beautiful. I have been looking for the Johnny and Buck fabric for my new grandson. Please let me know if there is any place that still carries it.

Anderson said...

Hi Barbara,

I love it. My nephew on my husbands side, got a quilt made with this material. I have been asking my sister in-law to find out where her aunt go this material because I want to do our future son's room in this material. Can you tell me where i can find this material? I just love it and have been looking for it all over. I just love it. You can also send an email to creativeandersonlady@yahoo.com. I jsut signed up on this blogspot because i saw this quilt and I love it and have loved the one that was done for my nephew. Thanks so much for your help and I just love it.