Monday, March 06, 2006

Sew Expo

Having spent a total of 10 hours in 2 days at Sew Expo this past Friday and Sunday, I can't let it slip by without sharing about it here. This was my first time to attend, although it takes place right here in my own back yard (Puyallup, Washington) and is 24 years old. Now that I'm back into sewing and enjoying it so much, I was encouraged by friends to attend Expo and I'm so glad that I did. With over 80 seminars & workshops and 200+ vendors, there is too much for one person to see all of, but certainly more than enough to keep you busy for many many hours. Because almost everything was new to me, there wasn't a vendor booth there that I didn't find something interesting in.

I experienced a number of 'firsts' for myself. I bought my first piece of fabric with absolutely no idea what I was going to do with it, but it was just too pretty not to own. (I've been told yes, that's the way to play the game *smile*) I bought my first 'fat quarters' (I just recently learned that they are not a quarter yard cut off the bolt, as I had assumed, but a half yard cut that has been cut down the middle to make a piece about 18" x 22".) And I bought my first batiks.

I also began my 'stash'. I've just come to realize what that term means in quilting. Once the quilting bug has bit you, you fall in love with color and design, and when you see a fabric that you love, you just have to have it. And so it goes on the shelf, waiting for that perfect project to be used in. These piles of waiting fabric are called a quilters stash. Mine is very tiny, but a start. I have seen photos of quilt rooms where the stash is 8 bookcases full of fabric!! I don't plan to ever get that carried away with it all, but I expect that my stash will grow with each trip to the fabric store. Here's my bookcase in my sewing room as of this morning.



And a close up of that beginning stash. Some of these fabrics are for a specific project, but some is just because I had to have it. And I'll think of how I'll use it later.

If you've hung in here this far with me, thanks for sharing my interest with me. I'm just having so much fun with all this. First thing out of bed this morning, I found myself in my sewing room folding fat quarters that I purchased yesterday. Who'd a thunk it! *grin*

4 comments:

PJ said...

well, it sure looks nice and neat! Luckily fat quarters do not take up a lot of space.

Wystful1 said...

what an assortment...beautiful pieces of material you found...such rich colors! And so organized you are!!! Wow

Gina E. said...

Take my word for it...you don't have to be a quilter to accumulate huge amounts of stash. I have hundreds of cross stitch and embroidery kits and UFOs that I will never stitch in twenty lifetimes....just had to have them!!

web design hosting services said...

web design hosting services BLOGGGGGGGERS

I would like to tell everyone I know about a new web site for web design hosting services... If you are looking on ways to mkae money starting a business and need a site to host it on . Visit http://webhost-er.com/ Today