Thursday, March 16, 2006

Picking Threads, etc.

Yesterday, I spent about an hour picking and clipping loose threads from the back of my quilt, getting it ready to go to the quilter. I'm only half done. I can honestly say this is my least favorite part of making a quilt. Very tedious. But, once done, it's ready to go. I cut and seamed the backing yesterday, so now all I need to do is make the drive north to drop it off at the quilter. While cutting the backing, I went ahead and cut the strips for the binding too, so I'll be ready with that when I get it back.

Today I have my block of the month class, and I'm looking forward to seeing what our next block looks like. I have my fingers crossed for a new color of fabric.

Also today, I am planning to pre-wash some fabric for the hand applique class that I'm taking Saturday. I've never done any applique, so this should be a real learning experience for me.

The squares for Baby Jones' quilt are still only half cut. I need to get busy on that or he will be born before it's done. I'm making it out of retro print flannel and the colors are soft and sweet. It makes me smile to work on it. :) note: Baby Jones is my great-grandson, due to be born the first of June.

I bought a quilt pattern yesterday that I will use for the fat quarters I began collecting at Expo. I picked up 5 more the other day while at the fabric store, and need to find 7 more that I like. Then I will have the 20 that I need. Here's the pattern:



It's a Debbie's Creative Moments pattern, "A Dash to the Finish". Finished size is 57" x 68". The fabrics that I'm using are mostly Moda, with lots of greens, and some pink and rust. I may add some blue with my next choices. Most of the prints are florals.

4 comments:

Melli said...

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa! Slow down here a minute! You mean to tell me that after all this stitchin' and sewin' to put this quilt top together, that NOW we CHEAT and send it OFF somewhere to be "quilted"???? What's up with that???? ( i never even heard of such a thing... didn't know it existed... well, this DOES make quilting a bit easier now doesn't it?)

Barb said...

Sounds like cheating, doesn't it? That's how I felt about it at first too: Nope, not me. I'm not sending mine out, I'm quilting it myself. Well, let me tell you after putting about $80 worth of fabric into the top and bottom, I decided I'm sure not going to mess it up by trying to quilt it myself. I am quilting a small one, and having fun with that, but I don't have the expertise or the machine to quilt a big one. So, yep, there are ladies who have the long arm machines and goodies for quilting large quilts (they cost thousands of dollars and are something that I'll never own) and they do it for you. For a hefty fee, of course.

Melli said...

Of course!

Carolyn said...

That is a beautiful pattern. I will have to look for it. Your colors, from up above, are stunning. The flannel quilt should be fun. And a great-grandson at that! I envy you. I love working in flannel.

Thank you for sharing your experiences with me, both here and on my blog.