Sunday, March 19, 2006

My First Applique

I took my first class for Beginner Applique yesterday. There's another class next week. I knew nothing about applique going in, and I can't believe how much I learned in 3 hours.

The flower in the center of this block is applique - the fabric was hand sewn on top of the fabric. I love doing hand work, so I really enjoyed doing this. The little flower was just a practice piece on some inexpensive muslin, to learn the technique. But I couldn't just toss it aside when I was done. After all, it's my first and I want to save it - so I designed a little quickie block using the same fabrics and sewed it up this afternoon.

5 comments:

Melli said...

Oh, that's cute! Applique is done by hand? Then what's it called when you sew all the way around a piece with like a tight zigzag stitch? I thought that was applique....

Barb said...

Yep that's applique too - it's machine applique. :) The class that I'm taking is all done by hand, so the fabric is sewn on with little tiny blind stitches. We used silk thread, and it was really nice to work with. From what I understand, there are decorative stitches that can be done by hand too. But I'm just a beginner, so I haven't learned those yet. BUT I plan too. :)

QuilterCarolyn said...

Great job on the block. The applique technique you learned is one of the hardest to master. Looks like you have a very good start. Be very proud.

Wystful1 said...

How-w-w-w pretty! And so delicate looking. That's beautiful. Stuff like THIS would make a goregous quilt too! *hint*

Floating around the blogs this afternoon, then I gotta start working on the front bedroom, rearranging stuff and actually getting settled in there. Ya think 1 year and a few months is long enough wait to get started? roflmao

Becci said...

Hi sweetie!
I was in the neighborhood and thought I'd drop in! Hope you are having a wonderful 1st week of Spring! You would never know its the start of Spring here in Michigan, with a high of 30° and cloudy skies, looking like snow on the way, yet again!