Tuesday, March 07, 2006

An Apron and a Rag Basket

I spent the morning cutting out a reversible apron that I'm making for my mom. It's pink and lavendar with tiny little rosebuds. I'm going to Oregon for a week, so I'll probably take my sewing machine with me and work on the apron and some piece work for a quilt project I started a few days ago.

This is a rag basket I made a few years back. It sits in my sewing room, holding a Christmas cactus. I've made several of these baskets and given them away to friends and relatives. The strips are torn so that the edges are ragged, and then the fabric is wound around cotton rope in such a way that it all ties together, with a fabric stitch from current row to previous row. These are fun and fast to make, although not inexpensive. They use a lot of fabric.

5 comments:

Wystful1 said...

This is just soooooooooooo cool!! I wanna make one. Wow, that's so pretty and love the colors you chose! Beautiful!!

Wystful1 said...

Forgot to say that I hope you have a great trip and enjoy the time with your family!!!

Melli said...

That's cute... the rag basket.

LibertyBelle said...

I could have sworn that you had crocheted that basket.
I've crocheted a lot, mostly winter caps and pot holders and throw rugs, with the ragged edges, but it looks very much like your flower pot holder!
Very nice
(LL)

Barb said...

It does look crocheted, doesn't it? I've seen rag rugs that have been crocheted from torn bed sheets. Has the same look. I have a bunch of sheets that I've saved just for that purpose, but never got around to doing it. One of these days ...