Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Buying a Sewing Machine


You know, buying a sewing machine shouldn't be so tuff. After two trips to the shop, and about three hours, I came away feeling like I was being conned by a used car salesman. None of the machines had a price tag on them. I had to ask the price of each. The top of the line that she spent tons of time telling me about and getting me all excited about ... was only $9000!!!! Can you believe that? Good grief!! I said "very nice, but WAY out of my budget. What cha got for under a thousand?" She showed me a nice machine that does what I need and more. "How much?" I ask. She says "I'll have to go check". Why does that ring of "I'll have to go show this to my manager" at the car lot? sheeeeeeesh She comes back and says $699. Well, still more than I had in mind, but I guess I could make a few payments. Still not sure, so she says she'll write the info down for me, so I have it when I come back. The slip says regular price $1499, sale price $799. Now wait. You said $699. Ohhhh that was the old sale price that's not in effect now. hmmmmm okay this still looks like a pretty good deal. I go online, at home, to compare prices. Another road block. I'm finding lots about sewing machines, but no prices. I go to the Pfaff site. There's the machine I want. No prices. Is this a conspiracy? Do I even know how to spell conspiracy, yet alone recognize one when I see it? I find my model a couple of places on the internet that say MRSP is $999. Crud. I really really reaaaalllly feel like I'm getting ripped off here. So .... no new machine for me until I figure out how this all works. LIke I said ... it just shouldn't be this tuff to buy a sewing machine.

1 comment:

PJ said...

I you are just doing quilting I would get a very basic Singer or Brother. If you are doing clothes too, then I would say still get the very basic machine and then get a great serger to use with it. I used to sell machines and most of my customers found they didn't use all those computer settings that came with the pricey machines.